How do you install a car seat properly?
So you want to know how to install a car seat? Each car seat is different. It's always recommended to refer to the manufacturing guidelines when installing the car seat. With that said, we have listed a few guidelines below that should assist you when installing a car seat.
First, always place the car seat in the back seat; never in the front seat. Make sure you place the seat in its proper direction, either facing the rear or the front. The direction will depend on the type of car seat you have purchased.
- Make sure seat belt straps/tethers are tight
- Make sure no twists are in the seat belt straps
- Make sure the car seat is positioned at the proper recline angle
Ensure the child is secure:
- Straps should be tight and the harness clip should be even with the child's shoulder or armpits
- Buckle the harness and the chest-clip
- Car seat should not move more than an inch
If you need any assistance you can learn from a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. You can check Safe Kids and NHTSA for additional information regarding Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians.